Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sarah's Key


To answer Mom's question, I sent invites to everyone and Mom and Phoebe have not yet responded. I will send you a second invite and you can join when you have time.

So the first book will be Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. From Publishers Weekly: "De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Vélodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz." An American reporter living in Paris and working for an American magazine is assigned to write about the anniversary of the Vél' d'Hiv' roundups. She discovers that the former occupants of the apartment she is moving into were Jews kicked out at the time of the roundups (at which time the apartment was acquired by her husband's family).

My last question is, is a month enough time for you to read it, or would you rather have more time since we also need time to post/comment? If a month is good, then we can start in November and Mom can review it (I am volunteering you, Mom) at the end of November or beginning of December and we can discuss.


By the way, if you don't want to lead the discussion then I can do it. I just figured I'd let The Matriarch start and we can go from there.


Phoebe, I also want to read Finn; maybe that can be our second book. Matt recently re-read Huck Finn and sparked my interest.

8 comments:

Phoebe said...

I'm here! I'll put the book on hold tonight!

grannybabs said...

I'll get it and start reading - I'm ready for a new book - I don't know why - there is still a stack on my nightstand - but I'd like a new one to add to the top!

I just finished Digging to America - the chapter about getting her little girl to give up her binky is pretty hilarious.

Phoebe said...

I requested both Sarah's Key and Finn.
It's nice to have something new to read. My bookgroup keeps picking books I have already read.

bonny with a Y said...

i will track both of them down.

hanner said...

I need to remind myself to check this because it isn't available on my Google Reader feed. Haha. I have gotten so lazy.

But I'm in!

Eliza said...

Why isn't it available, Hannah? I have it on Bloglines.

Eliza said...

I got it from the library today...my library didn't have it but the neighboring county's did.

happy reading.

grannybabs said...

Mine from Amazon came today - I'm going to hustle through my chores and start reading!!