Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Twilight Phenomenon

There's a write up in the Calendar section of the LA Times today on the filming of the movie version of the best-selling young adult novel Twilight.

I'm conflicted about this - it's great to see a BYU English major grad achieve fame and fortune.

But it is so badly written, it's embarrassing!

Maybe I'm a snob, or maybe I've finally outgrown teen novels.

But The Historian, another novel about vampires, is so much better - and so much better written.

I haven't read any interviews with the author - maybe she, like many of us, said, "I can write a cheesy best selling novel!"

And then did!

(Maybe it's sour grapes!)

It mostly discourages me to see how quickly the reading public embraces bad writing. Okay, it's popular and has a good - but very predictable - story line. But people gush on and on about what a "great" book it is.

Maybe we need a new designation or some new adjectives for bad writing that resonates with the public.

Any ideas??

5 comments:

Erin said...

I was on Heather's blog and read your comment, clicked over to your site and presto, here I am.

I love your blog… very cute.

I am a school teacher and just began my summer vacation (yeah!). I would love to read a couple thought provoking books and a couple absolutely, just for fun, no brainer type of books.

Any suggestions?

grannybabs said...

My book group is reading Home by Julie Andrews - her autobio - so far it's pretty good - and got great reviews.

I am reading Enna Burning. Have you read the books by Shannon Hale? Goose Girl, Enna Burning and Princess Academy. They are like detailed fairy tales - with more substance - but entertaining reading and pretty well written.

I also just read Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts - a good read. And I'm a little behind in my Anne Tyler reading - like I just discovered her!! I liked Amateur Marriage and Saint Maybe.

I liked the new John Grisham too - although it wasn't a happy ending so I was a little bummed.

I also recently read a collection of short stories called Sweet Land by Will Weaver - loved them!!

I'm a school teacher too - but we aren't out until Thursday!!

Happy reading - share your faves with us too - any friend of Heather's is a friend of ours!

Alisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisha said...

My husband, who also earned an English degree, said "dreck" is the world you're looking for.

Eliza said...

Welcome Alisha...I didn't know Eric was an English major. Actually I think I did know that, but I must have forgotten.