Sunday, January 25, 2009

Latest read -

So, I finished A Mercy by Toni Morrison in record time - for me anyway - usually Toni Morrison books take me forever - the stream of consciousness motif can be difficult to decipher.

The plot here was more direct and didn't have so many offshoots - basically it was one story with some interconnecting. It was a fascinating look at the South before the Revolutionary War.

As usual, I loved the complex characters that are painted for the reader - and the use of dialogue to help you fix the characters in your mind. It did not seem to be as detailed as Beloved was - but it's a less complex story too.

I recommend it - even if you've never read her before.

2 comments:

hanner said...

I heard Diane Rehm's interview with her at the end of last year and it was really interesting. I've never actually read anything by Toni Morrison!

grannybabs said...

Give it a try - Bruce told me to start with The Bluest Eye - which I did - I like all of her stuff. I'd love to take a class on her - or one she taught for that matter!