Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Reader

So, I just plowed through The Reader. It's only 218 pages long so it only took me a couple of hours to finish. Since a friend lent it to me I decided to work on this one before attacking the other books in the pile. And now I have one book adapted into a movie starring Kate Winslet down; maybe I'll start Revolutionary Road next.

Anyway, it's really powerful, and sad, and reads like a true story (to me, at any rate). And it's very conflicting. And it's not at all as graphic as I thought it would be--my friend who lent it to me said that she was a little shocked when she read it, but it's not very bad at all. (Although I can see why the movie is rated R.)

I especially think Mom might be interested in it, because it's about the Holocaust. It took me a while to figure out the time period of the book... I had to do some mental math to figure out when it took place.

Moving on. I think you'll all enjoy it. I wrote down a couple of phrases that I found interesting to the moral message of the novel. So, it's not super fluffy, but if you have a couple of hours to spare you could finish it rather easily, I'm sure. And Mom, promise me that you won't read the end before you finish the book. Thanks.

4 comments:

grannybabs said...

I really knew nothing about this book - or even that the movie came from a book - I will read it - no decision yet on whether or not I will read the end first though!!

hanner said...

If you read the end you might as well not read the book. I'm just warning you.

hanner said...

The more I think about it, the less surprising the twists are in the book. But I still don't condone reading the end first.

grannybabs said...

The book came - and I haven't read the end yet.