Friday, March 27, 2009

This is a winner!


Maybe everyone has already read this book, but I just discovered it - in fact someone handed it to me at my book club and said, "Here, have you read this?" Didn't even want it back - I think I'm supposed to spread the wealth - but I'm planning to inspire Dad to read it before I send it on!

This book was written as a young adult novel, but captured a much wider audience than that - in fact, it was a New York Times #1 bestseller.

I think what impressed me the most was how well-wrought the story was. And the careful, effective use of figurative language made it all very lyrical. Sometimes I think modern writers have forgotten about how wonderful a great metaphor can be - "Above her, Rosa appeared to be smudged, but she soon clarified as her cardboard face loomed closer."

The most effective device is the use of Death as the narrator - it gives the story shape and meaning that it could get in no other way.

And the story keeps making wise, perceptive statements: "I guess humans like to watch a little destruction. Sand castles, houses of cards, that's where they begin. Their great skill is their ability to escalate." There's a lot of "food for thought" there!

The story takes place in Germany in the late 1930's and early 40's. There are the requisite concentration camps and escaping Jews, but none of it seems tired or hackneyed. I suspect that it would be very difficult to make light of those details anyway. (Even though Life is Beautiful is somewhat comical, it is a tragic, but endearing comedy that only makes the tragedy more poignant.)

I recommend this highly - let's all read it and discuss it - I mean if you haven't already read it.

Let's put some life into this book blog!

10 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I read this book last year and I loved it. It was one of the best books I have ever read!
~Keeanna McGlone

Karen said...

I read this last year on Melissa's recommendation.
To be honest, I started it, and it did not really grab me, so I put it down for a while before I picked it up again and then I was more interested and I finished it.
I liked it.

grannybabs said...

A review I read commented that you had to get past the first 40 pages to "figure it out" before you were hooked.

Eliza said...

The point of the blog started out to be a book club, but then we didn't all read the book (Suite Francaise) and so we never really discussed it.

So if you guys want to discuss a book, let's go for it. I'll read it! How about everybody try to read it by May. Is that enough time? Or do you have other book clubs getting in the way?

My book club is reading 3 Cups of Tea, which I haven't started yet...or even gotten from the library. Today I'll make it my goal to get both from the library or at least put them on hold.

grannybabs said...

I keep hearing about three cups of tea - let me know and I will add it to my list.

grannybabs said...

Or we could pick a great short story and maybe that would be easier for each of us.

My book group has gone to short stories and the response is better - at least more people show up having read the item!!

Phoebe said...

I read The Book Thief and put it on Good reads, so I'm ready for a meeting!
Maybe our next book club selection will not have any Nazis' in it?

grannybabs said...

It's interesting how prevalent the whole Holocaust motif is. Interestingly enough, there are more books out now delineating the German side of the story.

I'm reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peeling Pie Society - or something to that effect!

hanner said...

Ha, "Peeling Pie."

Umm... I could NOT finish Three Cups of Tea. I was a little disappointed about my hesitation. It was just so boring.