Thursday, June 4, 2009

Almost French


I just finished this work of boringness. Has anyone else read it? Sarah Turnbull is an Aussie expat living in France with her French husband. I guess I should have known that it would be a letdown, since that topic isn't really all that innovative to begin with--she just happened to write about it. She's got about as much sentence variety as Stephenie Meyer and she lives quite the glamorous life compared to most transplanted people (she name drops like CRAZY ["my interview with Kristin Scott Thomas," "my interview with John Galliano," etc.]; it gets really old after a while).

On the upside, it was nice that I could identify with some things, like how it's really hard to find a good restaurant in Paris, even though it's a city renowned for its cuisine. And... that you get addicted to the idea of owning a dog after you live here. And that it's a hard city to drive in? Come on, Sarah!

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. You can just interview me after I get home and get the same idea.

3 comments:

grannybabs said...

Good to know - I actually had never heard of it. Which bestseller list was it on?

hanner said...

NYT. Means nothing! Romance novels are on the NYT bestseller list too.

bonny with a Y said...

i read this awhile back - it was kind of eh. glad i had checked it out from the library and not paid any money for it.