Thursday, September 24, 2009

El Norte


Dad and I finally watched this. Eliza had recommended it. I'm not sure Dad liked it all that much, but I thought it was well-done. I liked the music, the scenery, the costumes, the native influence - Guatemala is a beautiful place - if indeed that is where they filmed part of it.

And the characters were well-drawn. It was sad - but then it was talking about a very sad situation - many immigrants do feel that they don't belong anywhere. If they felt like they belonged, they probably wouldn't leave!

There was some comic relief in the stereotypes portrayed - sometimes that part failed to deliver - but other times it was just the right touch - especially when Rosa couldn't figure out how to work the washer, so she scrubbed the clothes by hand and laid them out on the lawn of this mini-mansion to dry!!

And the scenes in the sewer as they crawled to "freedom" were wrenching and powerful I felt. It is indeed a good companion piece to La Misma Luna.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Oops, sorry, didn't realize it was rated R.

It has been several years since I watched it and the details are vague. But I liked it, cheese and all.