Thursday, September 3, 2009

Monday Night at the Movies


When I read the book about GWTW, there was a chapter on 1939 being a bountiful year for great movies. So I thought I'd get some of them from NetFlix, so that I could be au courant in the world of vintage films.

We watched it Monday night - the character in the film has glioma - the same tumor that felled Senator Ted Kennedy. Kind of ironic.

The film has, in addition to Bette Davis, a very young Humphrey Bogart playing an Irish horse trainer. And an equally young Ronald Reagan playing a drunken playboy!! Those characters alone made it worth watching!

I enjoyed it - it was a little cheesy - but then old movies usually are - I think that's what audiences demanded then. And Bette Davis is truly amazing to watch in action.

Next on the queue: El Norte.

No comments: