Sunday, April 19, 2009

Another book down -


I am ready to say that I am a little bit tired of reading!! Never thought I'd say that! I need to mix it up with some movies - but Dad keeps stalling a trip to Blockbuster for the movies I want. This is when it would be handy to have Netflix, yes??

But I had started this before my surgery and wanted to see how it ended badly enough to "read through the pain" as they say. (And the pain has greatly diminished too.)

This, it turns out, is a kind of Holocaust novel too - but from a very different perspective - that of a family of Jews - who will not acknowledge their Jewishness after they immigrate to the U.S. in 1936. The ending is very surprising - and a lot of tension is maintained through the middle of the book. There is some difficulty towards the end - the story seems to drift and swirl before moving forward once more.

But it's a good read. I have not read her other books - just an occasional short story - but I may check out her biography of Marilyn Monroe - called Blonde, of course!

Now I'm going to go back to the couch - 5 minutes upright is about all I can handle at the moment.

1 comment:

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

I just read her book ' Wild Nights' . Its short stories but it was a great read. I was looking for this book but the library didnt have it so settled with this other one. Im excited to read her other novels.