Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another book to check off the list!

Leslie sent me the Horatio Hornblower series on DVD, so I may give up reading for a few days - although a new Maisie Dobbs books just came in the mail - but I did finish Revolutionary Road - and it was sad and tragic and very well written.

Seems like everything is reminiscent of some previous writer - this has the makings of a modern Dreiser or Edith Wharton.

It takes place in the 50's after WW II - and I was struck by the portrayal of suburbia. I grew up when Granada Hills was quite rural - then "tract houses" came to town. And they were a novelty - I thought them quite sleek and modern - and I went baby sitting for families who lived in them. And much of what he says in the story about life in suburbia rings true with my memories. I have had this thought about other novels and short stories I have read.

So pay attention to social changes now - in 40+ years you may read a novel exploring their origins and effects. And won't you feel slick saying, "I knew that!"

No comments: