Wednesday, May 4, 2011

hotel at the corner of bitter and sweet.

I just finished this last night and I really enjoyed it. It's the story of the relationship between a Chinese boy and a Japanese girl during WWII in Seattle. It's a clean read and I would easily recommend it to anyone (Grandma Mary might like it!). After I read it I decided to do a bit of research on the author, Jamie Ford, and discovered that he is LDS. The bio bit about having 6 children tipped me off:).
Anyway- if you've read it let me k now what you thought!

Also, I finished Hannah Coulter, after Hannah recommended it, and I think it might be my favorite read of 2011.

3 comments:

grannybabs said...

I love all things Chinese it seems - and I enjoyed Hotel also. I liked the back and forth between past and present. And I thought it gave a good "window" into life during the war. The "mystery" element was effective too.

Haven't heard of Hannah Coulter at all - is it a novel?

hanner said...

glad you liked hannah coulter! mom, i emailed everyone to tell you guys about it after i read it for my book group. it's by wendell berry. i want to read the other books in his series!

Phoebe said...

I am going to put the other Wendell Berry novels on hold at the library. I hope they are as good!