Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I need to stop reading and start getting things done!!


I bought this in the bookstore at the airport because I was afraid I'd finish the book I brought with me - and I did finish it, so I was glad to have a book on hand.

I tend to like Chinese-themed novels - and this was no exception. However, the quality of the writing was uneven. The story is quite compelling, but as often happens in many novels I read, it seemed like the author went along telling a good story - and then felt the need to hurry up and finish it - and got a little sloppy.

This is about a young woman and her mother who come to New York from Hong Kong - seems like the 70's or 80's - and they live under terrible conditions and work in a sweat shop. The daughter decides that getting a good education is the only way out - so she excels academically. But there's a sad love story there too - with a kind of O'Henry twist at the end.

I think I need to stop starting books and get through the end of the school year before I start up again!!

No comments: