Wednesday, February 20, 2008

fin

Okay, I'm done with it too. And I know that Phoebe had to return her book (I have to return mine tomorrow as well), but I'm excited to talk about it.

And since I won't be able to reference it later, I'll quote the two spots that I marked in the book (I'm not a very diligent marker):

"Perhaps there was a wealth of intelligence and tenderness behind their low brows, beneath their disheveled, lifeless hair. What are we in people's eyes, Maurice and I, other than two miserable employees? It's true in a way, but in another way, we are precious and unique. I know that too" (Jeanne Michaud, p. 53).

"If events as painful as defeat and mass exodus cannot be dignified with some sort of nobility, some grandeur, then they shouldn't happen at all! I will not accept that these shopkeepers, these caretakers, these filthy people with their whining, their malicious gossip, their vulgarity, should be allowed to debase this atmosphere of tragedy. Just look at them! Look at them! There they are again. They're honking at me, for goodness sake!" (Gabriel Corte, p. 61)

I guess I must have marked them because they're somewhat related. Anyway. Good read.

4 comments:

grannybabs said...

Great selections Eliza - her characters are something like archetypes - but not cliched at all.

That was what I found so rich - the delineation of character.

The plot was almost secondary - although the fussy guy who got run over - well, I enjoyed that plot twist! (my copy is with Phoebe.)

Eliza said...

that was hannah's post, not mine, but i'll take the credit if you'd like.

yes, it was really all about characters. so many characters!

grannybabs said...

Well, so much for my excellent attention to detail!!

Phoebe said...

yeah, I need to get on that one. Sorry!