Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A great read


The title for this book comes from the Hippocratic oath which admonishes the physician against "cutting for stone," and refers to the practice of cutting out bladder stones. Apparently these developed from the drinking water. They were fairly easy to remove also. However, the surgeons, who were often just barbers, were not hygienic in the practice. Many died the next day from severe infection. Hence the oath warned against a medical practice that was unsafe, and possibly unnecessary.

One of the reviewers I read explained the significance of the title, and then criticized the author for not fully developing the idea of unnecessary surgery. Although the story is not about unnecessary surgery, it is about unnecessary loss - that ultimately appears to be redeeming.

It's also a fascinating geo-political history treatise that alone would make for compelling reading. The story of conjoined twin boys born to a nun and a surgeon - you're thinking it's something you want to read aren't you??

The author is a physician - and a fine writer also. I have noticed that frequently doctors who become writers seem to do well with the skill of writing. Perhaps the attention to detail that is the hallmark of good medicine spills over onto the pages of the story.

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

I read this for my bookgroup since it was our city's "Book of the Year" pick. I am glad that I read it since everyone in town is reading it as well!
I didn't LOVE it, but I enjoyed it. Was disappointed in the main character, but found Shiva and eth rest of his family highly entertaining!