Thursday, April 14, 2011

Latest read

We are here in Boston - and I'm using Harry's computer - which I don't use extremely well - I don't do well with laptops - I need a mouse and a regular keyboard. So no illustration this time.

But I just finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. I chose it rather randomly - it was on the shelves at the recent bookfair at Clifton - they always have a shelf of books for parents to buy - and I knew I needed a book for the upcoming plane rides I was scheduled for.

But random works - this time anyway. It started slowly, and I was a trifle confused at first. But once the story took off, it was pretty compelling.

There are problems with the story line, but the writing is excellent. There is an underlying theme about the power of words, which is the theme that spoke most clearly to me.

The time frame is the very beginning of World War II. The author has made some changes to dates and actual events to fit her story line. But it all works.

A good airplane book - even a good read at home book. If you've read it, let me know what you think.

No comments: