Saturday, February 14, 2009

C.S. Lewis

One of the presenters at our recent Women's Conference recommended A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis for anyone who was dealing with unresolved grief issues. I don't fall into that category, but I thought that if I did feel like I wanted to recommend it to someone, I should know what was in it. Apparently the movie Shadowlands was influenced by this book also.

It is a very quick read - much like a long New Yorker article or essay. And it has some profound thoughts in it. He does reiterate often that his experience is not to be taken for everyone's experience - an important caveat I think.

It is "heavy-duty" at times - even ponderous. But on the whole I can see how it could be very helpful. I wished after I had read it that I had highlighted some of those profound or enlightening statements - someone grieving might only want to read portions and not the whole thing.

I have only read the Narnia books by C.S.Lewis so I am not familiar with his writings on Christianity. That might make a difference in my understanding and perceptions.

It was well-written of course, and the literary elements contribute to its effectiveness.

So, you might want to add it to your list.


No comments: